|Latin name:||Crocodylus thorbjarnarsoni|
| • Oviparous Meat|
• Hard Bone
The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile is found near swampy areas or water sources. They have dark green coloring and blend in well. They are very aggressive hunters and seek out prey of all sizes. When threatened, they will hiss at opponents in an attempt to scare them off. If the threat doesn't retreat, they will lunge forward and attack, which quite often spells the end of that creature. Crocodiles usually have a nest nearby with Crocodile Eggs and they will defend the nest ferociously.
The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile will not run to far from its nest or resting place if not injured. After running a short distance, the crocodile will tend to give up attacking. It will either return to its nest, or if the crocodile has no nest, it will either rest or wander.
The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile is a large animal that appears around water sources. They lie in wait for prey to come along but don't let this fool you! Crocodiles are very territorial and will defend their areas furiously. Great care should be taken if you decide to engage in combat with one of these animals. The Crocodile uses their size to cause blunt force trauma and can inflict Injury. Being a large animal, it is hard to intimidate them even holding weapons. It is possible with a group of hominids to intimidate a crocodile but beware if it fails as you will have a large and angry animal coming after you. Crocodiles are very aggressive and failing an intimidation ensures combat will ensue.
If you engage a Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile in combat in water deep enough to be swimming, you will be unable to counterattack or intimidate. You can only dodge the crocodile (and not very well). Be very careful with a crocodile in the water because your available combat actions are limited and the crocodile is just as deadly in deep water as it is on land.
If you are attacked by a Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile, and do nothing when prompted, you will eventually be torn apart and killed. The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile will not give up until either you or the crocodile is dead.
If you do decide to attack, use the best weapons you can acquire. It is recommended to use Sharpened Sticks first, Sticks next, and as a last resort rocks or hard tools. The more damage you can do from a distance, the better. Crocodiles have a relatively large amount of health, taking multiple successful strikes with a Sharpened Stick to kill, though it is possible to get lucky and kill them with one strike.
The Crocodile Carcass provides Oviparous Meat and Hard Bone when it is butchered. The carcass can be butchered three times. To butcher a carcass more than once, all the items dropped from the previous butchering must be picked up.
Interactions With Other Animals
When different animals get in close proximity to each other, they can attack and kill each other. Animals can fight each other on their own or you can cause them to move nearer to each other to initiate combat. Some of these methods are intimidation to scare them towards another animal, have them chase you and you run past another animal, or perform a dodge and the animal runs towards another animal.
When animals fight each other, a cut-scene will play showing one animal attacking and killing the other. There are a large number of Evolution Feats that deal specifically with trying to cause animals to fight and kill each other.
The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile is a formidable foe that can hold its own against most animals it interacts with.
The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile can kill a large number of animals. The Astute Dominator of the Crocodile is the evolution feat that deals with the kills the crocodile can perform.
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the African Buffalo
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Dorcas Gazelle
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Eastern Green Mamba
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Black Mamba
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Hyena
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Black-Backed Jackal
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill a Machairodus
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Miocene African Otter
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Giant Warthog
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Miocene African Horse
Can Be Killed By
The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile can be killed by a number of animals.
- Made the Hippopotamus kill the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile - Astute Dominator of the Hippopotamus
- Made a Machairodus kill the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile - Astute Dominator of the Machairodus
- Made the Miocene Elephant kill the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile - Astute Dominator of the Elephant
- The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile is larger than the living Nile crocodile and even the modern saltwater crocodile.
- A few Thorbjarnarson's Crocodiles are seen in the intro cutscene, stalking the fish before it's caught by a crowned crane, which is then eaten by said crocodile, with the fish itself, now dead, continuing down the river.
- The inclusion of Crocodylus thorbjarnarsoni is slightly anachronistic, as the species did not appear in Africa until 4.2 million years ago but can be found from the start of the game some 9 million years ago.
- Contrary to popular belief, crocodiles do not make good pets as they are very aggressive. Crocodiles are wild animals and will attack anything either out of fear or hunger.
- The Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile is named after John Thorbjarnarson (pronounced thorb-Yar-naso) who was a crocodilian expert who sadly died of Malaria at the age of 52 in 2010 after studying the dwarf crocodile in its natural habitat. He was famous for managing save 13 species from the brink of extinction.