| • Mammal Meat|
• Hard Bone
The Hyena is a medium small animal that can appear alone but more often than not in a pack. Don't let their size fool you! Care should be taken if you decide to engage in combat with one of these animals as you may be swarmed by a pack of them from all sides. The Hyena uses their quick speed and sharp teeth to quickly cause damage and can inflict Bleeding. Being a medium small animal, it easier to intimidate a single animal but a pack is harder. It is recommended to do so holding weapons or with a group of hominids.
If you do decide to attack, use the best weapons you can acquire. It is recommended to use Sharpened Sticks first, Sticks next, and as a last resort rocks or hard tools. The more damage you can do from a distance, the better. Being a medium small animal, it takes less strikes to kill this animal.
The Hyena Carcass provides Mammal Meat and Hard Bone when it is butchered. The carcass can be butchered two times. To butcher a carcass more than once, all the items dropped from the previous butchering must be picked up.
Interactions With Other Animals
When different animals get in close proximity to each other, they can attack and kill each other. Animals can fight each other on their own or you can cause them to move nearer to each other to initiate combat. Some of these methods are intimidation to scare them towards another animal, have them chase you and you run past another animal, or perform a dodge and the animal runs towards another animal.
When animals fight each other, a cut-scene will play showing one animal attacking and killing the other. There are a large number of Evolution Feats that deal specifically with trying to cause animals to fight and kill each other.
The Hyena is relatively weaker alone but in packs it can be an overwhelming foe against the many animals it interacts with.
The Hyena can kill a number of animals. The Astute Dominator of the Hyena is the evolution feat that deals with the kills the hyena can perform.
- Made the Hyena kill the African Buffalo
- Made the Hyena kill the Dorcas Gazelle
- Made the Hyena kill the Eastern Green Mamba
- Made the Hyena kill the Black Mamba
- Made the Hyena kill the Black-Backed Jackal
- Made the Hyena kill the African Rock Python
- Made the Hyena kill the Giant Warthog
- Made the Hyena kill the Miocene African Horse
Can Be Killed By
The Hyena can be killed by a number of animals.
- Made the African Rock Python kill the Hyena - Astute Dominator of the Rock Python
- Made a Machairodus kill the Hyena - Astute Dominator of the Machairodus
- Made the Miocene Elephant kill the Hyena - Astute Dominator of the Elephant
- Made the Miocene White Rhinoceros kill the Hyena - Astute Dominator of the Rhinoceros
- Made the Thorbjarnarson's Crocodile kill the Hyena - Astute Dominator of the Crocodile
- Hyenas are known to make a very humanlike chuckling noise when attacking prey or when nervous. It is somewhat impossible to distinguish a hyena chuckle from a humans chuckle.
- Hyenas actually would not likely be hunted by a machairodus at all because it's meat is not nutrient dense like herbivorous animals.
- Though Hyenas are expert hunters, they are also scavengers. One reason why hyenas are so vital to their savanna habitat is their special way to get nutrients. Hyenas often crush the bones, hooves, horns and even teeth of their prey to get at bone marrow.
- Though resembling dogs, hyenas not members of the dog family, nor are they cats. They are so unique that they have a family all their own, Hyaenidae.
- In the prehistoric times, striped and spotted hyenas used to attack and predate on early humans such as Ardipithecus, Australopithecus, and Homo Ergaster. Hyenas feed on primates, zebras, bovids, various antelopes, young hippos, lagomorphs, rhino/elephant calves, mongoose, fish, snakes, dead birds, just about any small to large animal that occurs in their habitat.
- In the game, spotted hyenas have appeared in the Miocene, but spotted hyenas actually evolved in the Pliocene