- 1 What is Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey?
- 2 What is the maximum tribe size?
- 3 Why can't I have more kids?
- 4 Where can I find outsiders/foreign hominids?
- 5 How can I switch the item in my hand?
- 6 Can I make fire?
- 7 How do I stop piggybacking babies?
- 8 How can I move settlements?
- 9 Is this game episodic?
- 10 When is the Steam version coming?
- 11 When I find other hominids, how can you tell what their needs are?
- 12 When is the next patch?
What is Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey?[edit | edit source]
It's difficult to tell at first glance what Ancestors: The Humandkind Odyssey is all about. In a nutshell, Ancestors is a survival-flavored achievement collecting game.
Your endgame goal is to evolve your clan of hominids forward through time and to achieve that you will need to perform mini-goals known as Evolution Feats or "achievements". Discovering new locations, using new tools, eating new food, killing new creatures are all examples of these mini-goals that will bring you closer to your ultimate goal.
Along your journey you will discover the concepts of genetic mutations, generational advancement, neuronal development, neuronal reinforcement, neuronal energy, and evolutionary time leaps. Each of these concepts adds to the depth and complexity of the gameplay experience.
Your main challenge in this game will be dealing with your clan's needs while not falling prey to the hostile fauna that surrounds you at all times.
Your secondary challenge, your "high-score meter" so to speak, will be completing the task of evolution "faster" than evolution theory suggests. Faster in this case translates to "with less blunders along the way" as you don't actually control evolution in any way. Your clan's evolution "speed" is determined by how efficient you were in achieving mini-goals while successfully managing your clan between the time leaps.
What is the maximum tribe size?[edit | edit source]
“Anyone know how many monkeys max? I’ve got six babies going but can’t find anymore hominids to get to join..."
You can have a maximum six of each of the hominid types per generation - six babies, six adults and six elders. The game will attempt to auto balance the genders.
Why can't I have more kids?[edit | edit source]
Currently an adult female hominid can only have two babies during her lifetime.
Where can I find outsiders/foreign hominids?[edit | edit source]
Outsiders appear only when you have appropriate space for them in your clan. They are found nearby settlements or up in the canopies of trees. Using your hearing sense and calls to find them is highly recommended.
How can I switch the item in my hand?[edit | edit source]
Can I make fire?[edit | edit source]
No. You can’t make fire nor use it.
How do I stop piggybacking babies?[edit | edit source]
"I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the kid off my back so I can go to a more dangerous location?"
How can I move settlements?[edit | edit source]
A settlement can be placed anywhere you like.
Just stand near the sleep spot so it is highlighted and you will get the prompt to settle.
- It is highly recommended you move all of your group members to your new settlement location as soon as possible after creating it.
- It is also recommended to move group members when you have no babies as the babies are very weak and will be easily killed by aggressive animals. However, if you do have babies and need to move settlements, piggybacking them is safest.
- Any group members not within the confines of your new settlement when you skip generations, will be killed.
Keep an eye on your group as you travel, as all aggressive animals will attack them and can kill them within a couple of strikes. Only by learning advanced neurons will your clan acquire the ability to fight or dodge attacks themselves without your intervention.
Is this game episodic?[edit | edit source]
No, Ancestors was originally planned as an episodic game pre-2018, but the Creative Director at Ancestors confirmed it would not be episodic. 
When is the Steam version coming?[edit | edit source]
August 27th 2020.
When I find other hominids, how can you tell what their needs are?[edit | edit source]
When is the next patch?[edit | edit source]
As of August 24th, there's no upcoming patch. Steam release won't come with any update as stated on Release Notes.